Need to stay in Australia for an extended time? Do you need to support someone in Australia who needs medical treatment? Are you donating an organ to someone? Then the 602 Visa may be appropriate for you. With this visa, the candidate can stay in Australia until the treatment plan or consultation is finished. The visa allows the bearer single or multiple entries to Australia, and to study for up to 3 months.
The permissibility of 602 Visa
Like all other Australian visas, medical treatment visa Australia also has some conditions that govern the eligibility of the candidates going for the visa. Although the ministry generally allows candidates the maximum time they would need for their treatment through this visa, certain factors play an important role in the decision of the visa awarding. Let us know these factors in details:
The admissible situations
The situations where the ministry may consider the award of 602 Visa are as follows:
- The applicant wishes to have medical treatment or consultation from a physician situated in Australia.
- The candidate intends to donate an organ to someone in Australia.
- The candidate is supporting a patient or organ donor who is holding or applying for a visa in Australia.
- The candidate wants to receive an organ from someone who travels to Australia with him or her.
- The candidate wishes to visit Australia under the arrangements of the Queensland Department of Health and the Western Province of Papua New Guinea.
Non-harmful medical condition
The candidate must not have a medical condition that could threaten the health of the general public.
- Impermissible visa
The candidate must not hold, or must not have last held, the Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) visa issued under the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or Consular) stream. However, candidates above the age of 50 and already rejected for a permanent visa for ill-health only on health grounds are the exception to this rule.
- Self-support means
The applicant must have means or access to means to support their stay in Australia.
- Health and character requirement
The candidate must fulfill the health and character requirement of the ministry unless he or she is going for the treatment themselves.
- Genuine visitor outlook
The visitor must only reside in Australia for treatment or consultation and follow the rules of this 602 Visa. The intention to stay temporarily in Australia doesn’t apply to individuals aged 50 or more, present in Australia, who have been denied a permanent visa due to not meeting the health necessities, and are unfit to journey from Australia.
- Repayment of debt to the Australian government
The candidate must pay back or make a formal arrangement to pay back any outstanding money owed to the government of Australia.
- Specified as “medical treatment” by the Department of Home Affairs
The procedures- surgical or medical and their consultation should be listed under the techniques considered as “medical treatment” by the Department of Home Affairs. The collection includes:
- Trivial and major medical measures
- Lifesaving treatment and other surgeries
- Beautifying treatments
- In-vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Delivery of a human baby
- Medical conference and testing
Homeopathic treatment and operations for surrogate motherhood will not be considered medical treatment. You can get to know this in detail from a Registered Migration Agent Perth.
- Payment of the medical bills
The candidates must provide proof that their treatment will not cost the Australian government any money. So, most treatments and consultations are needed to be pre-paid. The proof can be a written statement from a public or private hospital confirming your treatment and their approval of payment of all the costs.
- No previous record of visa cancellation
This 602 Visa may be rejected if any previous records of cancellation exist. However, the cancellation must be done while the candidate must be present in Australia.
Finer points for consideration
The Australian government tries to be maximally helpful and sympathetic to the plight of persons with disease and disability. However, there are some finer points on which the application may have to be delayed or rejected. Although for some communicable diseases, the decision of rejection and acceptance may not be explained, the essential points are directed into the maintenance of balance between the overseas applicants and the permanent resident or citizens. It is, therefore, best to consult a proficient Visa Agent Perth before applying.
Some of the advanced guidelines the ministry keeps in mind are given below:
- The visa will be summarily canceled if it causes any disadvantage to the citizens or permanent residents of Australia. In short, if the applicant needs medical resources that are in short supply and permitting access to it would mean losing out of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, then the application will most probably be rejected.
- If the time taken to grant a medical treatment visa becomes detrimental to the health of the patient, the border control operations uplift without a visa may be considered. It is however considered in special and exceptional operations, especially if the applicant’s condition is time-sensitive, life-threatening, or likely to worsen.
- Services that can be in short supply affect the acceptance of the visa. An example of such a service may be organ donation and dialysis. However, depending upon the existing situation, the decision may vary. The following factors are considered when the case of organ transplant is considered:
- The nature of the organ being transplanted
- The organ donor; whether that individual is an Australian resident or accompanying the recipient.
- Available evidence of compatibility and suitability and the data it presents.
For dialysis, the medical facility chosen must be a private one and the treatment would not cause any disadvantage to the public patients. This advice would have to be provided in written form by the medical institution.
Consulting with experts
The time allowed with this visa will depend upon the situation of the person needing the medical treatment. Usually, the ministry tries to provide enough time for the treatment to complete. To know about the different conditions and guidelines about this visa, you should consult with the most proficient Immigration Consultant Perth and apply without any inconsistency.