Is your partner currently living in Australia? Well, you can live with him/her too. The only document you will need is a partner visa. For an onshore Australian applicant whose partner is an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen, the correct visa is the partner visa subclass 820. This article will cover all the necessary information that you need to know about applying for this visa.
What is visa subclass 820?
If you are the spouse or de facto partner of a person who meets one of the conditions mentioned above, you can apply for this visa. You will be allowed to live and work in Australia with this visa. The 820 visa is not a permanent but a temporary visa granted to the applicant. Following this visa, you may get the permanent visa subclass 801. The application for the partner visa subclass 801 is processed two years after you have applied for the temporary visa in the first stage. As per the Department of Home Affairs, most people can hold the 820 visa for 18 to 25 months before getting the permanent 801 visa.
How can you apply for partner visas?
You can carry out a four-step application for the 820 visa.
- Prepare all the documents: You must include necessary information accurately. The papers will consist of:
- Identity documents: A birth certificate where both of your parents’ names are mentioned, is the primary identity document. But, if you’re unable to provide a birth certificate, you can submit copies of any other identity document issued by the government or a family book that also shows the name of your parents.
- Relationship with your partner: If you are married, provide your marriage certificate. Similarly, if you are a de facto partner, you should produce any proof of your de facto relationship. This proof should show that your relationship is genuine. You must also tell the authority some details in writing about your relationship like the first time you have met, your engagement or marriage date, plans for the future, etc. In addition to these, other information should include financial matters, household matters, and commitment.
- Character documents: Character documents are generally required to check whether your presence can create many problems for society or not. Report by the Federal Police is the primary document. Apart from that, you must also provide other documents like an overseas police certificate from the country you have lived in and military service records and discharge papers, if applicable.
- Documents for the child: If your children want to come and live in Australia, you have to submit those documents too. Irrespective of their age (older or younger than 18 years), you have to prove that they are dependent on you. Their identity documents and documents of their relationships with you are the prime requirements.
- Lodge your application: You can apply for your partner visa either online or by person, whichever seems suitable for you. Before the application, keep all your documents ready, as well as the application fee. You can make the payment using a credit card.
- Wait for the decision: It can take a considerable time for the department to decide on your application. The processing will depend on various factors like the number of applications, current circumstances, etc. You can ask any visa consultant Perth for any queries.
- Start working after you receive your visa: Once your application gets the final approval, you can quickly start working in Australia.
What are the key benefits of partner visa 820?
The benefits of the visa subclass 820 are as follows:
- You will have plenty of flexibility: This sounds satisfying, isn’t so? You will get enormous freedom from an 820 visa. First of all, you can stay with your beloved partner in Australia until your application for the permanent visa gets approved. You can have full rights to work. You can travel within and out of Australia at any time you want. And at the same time, you can also study in Australia. But, you will not get any government funding for your study course.
- You can get access to Health care and Medicare: This is one of the most significant benefits of a permanent partner visa. You can get access to Medicare once you apply for visa 820. You can get access to several Australian health care services. Treatments and consultations from top-ranked doctors, ophthalmologists, dentists, and other specialists will be free. Also, you can get treatment and accommodation utterly free of cost in an Australian public hospital. And last but not least, you will get medications under the pharmaceutical benefits scheme (PBS).
- You can get access to AMEP: AMEP stands for Adult Migration English Program. As soon as you are granted the 820 visa, you can get access to up to 510 hours of English tuition under AMEP, which costs free. No matter where you live, in cities or rural areas, you can attend the classes. What’s more encouraging is that you can choose several options to study according to your convenience. You can select either a part-time or full-time course. The classes are generally held at night on the weekends, ensuring no overlap with your weekly work schedule. You can learn English, sitting in your home independently.
- You can bring your dependent children: This is another excellent benefit of the visa 820, as you can easily move your family permanently to Australia. Your children will have the full rights and visa conditions if they meet all the eligibility criteria. Dependent children should be under 18 years of age. Children older than 18 years are also eligible, but they have to be less than 23 years of age. Financial dependence usually occurs because they are full-time students. Dependency also arises from the inability to work due to physical or mental disabilities.
You may contact any consulting firm like Migration Agent Perth for more detailed information, who can provide you with experienced immigration consultant Perth. These professionals are client-friendly and always ready to help you.